Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Pancakes / Crepes....

For some reason on Friday I suddenly got this urge for some Pancakes. You know... the South African Pancakes, not the US Pancakes (crumpets as we South Africans know them).

For my American readers, Pancakes are similar to Crepes here in the US :) I have always wondered since I was an Au Pair here, why they are called different names - I still don't know why. I couldn't find a recipe online that sounded right, all the ones I found didn't sound like the ones our family would have made at home... So while on Skype on Saturday morning with my Mom, she got me the recipe out of a recipe book of hers :) On top of craving for Pancakes I also had the craving for Nestle Treat Caramel... Oh the taste of that sweet sweet caramel in the tin!! I knew though that I may have a problem finding it here, so once again I set out on a "Facebook Mission" and asked anyone that is here if they know where I can get it... Again Carla knew exactly what it was called and told me where to get it, along with Hilda :) SO here is what the caramel treat is called in the US : Nestle Lechera Dulce Leche Caramel it is AMAZE!!!!

I made Cinnamon and Sugar Pancakes and also Banana and Caramel Pancakes - both amazing :))

Here is the recipe :

2 Cups Flour
2 tsp Baking Powder
2 ml Salt
2 Eggs
25 ml Oil
1 Cup Milk
1 Cup Water
12.5 ml Lemon Juice / Vinegar (I used Lemon Juice)
12.5 ml Oil

1. Sift the dry ingredients into a large bowl
2. Beat the eggs until light and fluffy
3. Add the milk, water, oil, lemon juice / vinegar (whichever you choose) into the 
    eggs 
4. Make a well in the dry ingredients
5. Pour in the egg mixture
6. Mix with a wooden spoon until smooth (I used a whisk to help with the lumps)
7. Heat a heavy pan (I used the heat between medium and high and it was perfect, 
    just test it out though, all stoves can be quite different)
8. Use the 12.5 ml oil in the pan (I tried two different ways, first I poured it all in, 
    coated the bottom of the pan then poured it back into the bowl I had it in, then 
    poured the mixture in, it didn't work too well, because the mixture didn't stick 
    to the pan enough. So I tried by putting a bit of oil onto a scrunched up paper 
    towel and rubbed it all over the bottom of the pan, poured the batter in and 
    spread it around to make a thin layer and it worked GREAT!!)
9. Let pan get nice and hot
10. Pour mixture to the bottom of the pan. With the size pan I used, I found that a 
      1/3 cup was the PERFECT amount to make a thin layer
11. I waited until the mixture was mostly "dried out" and used a spatula to flip it - 
      you can flip the pan if you like - that didn't work out too well for me! LOL
12. Allow to brown slightly on the other side
13. Slip onto a plate and sprinkle or spread your filling and roll up (keep warm in 
       the oven on warm)

Makes 20 Pancakes.

You can also make Savory Pancakes by adding the following to the Pancake and rolling it up :

Mince
Chicken and White Sauce
Chicken / Ham, Mushrooms or Asparagus and White Sauce
Cottage Cheese, Chopped Celery / Chives, Salt and Paprika
Sprinkle with Parmesan Cheese and Paprika and put it under the grill

They really are so easy and so GOOD!! :) Try them sometime!!


1 comment:

  1. YUMMMMMM!!!!!!
    I want some caramel pancakes (and cinnamon sugar & lemon juice ones) SOOOOO BAD.. but I don't dare. LOL... I have GOT TO lose the rest of my baby belly before we shoot for #3. lol.
    DAMN all this good food to tempt me... I WANT IT...ALL OF IT. lol.

    ReplyDelete